What has been happening with the ThingsCon trustmark project? We are committed to developing this and learning out in the open. Learn more about this project on the ThingsCon IoT Trustmark page. You can read all other trustmark updates on the ThingsCon blog or over on the ThingsCon channel on Medium. This research is conducted as part of my Mozilla Fellowship.
Progress & activities
- Meetings and conversations with folks from Ranking Digital Rights, The Digital Standard, Doteveryone, #iotmark, Consumer Reports, University of Dresden and others to see where our work aligns and where there might be synergies. Looks like we're in the right place at the right time.
- Started working with Pete Thomas (of University of Dundee & design studio Tom Pigeon) to develop a visual identity and a name for the trustmark.
- Met with some ThingsCon allies to the ThingsCon Salon Antwerp to informally discuss collaborations, and started spreading the word there.
- Setting up a trustmark-themed ThingsCon Salon Berlin for the summer with special guest & fellow MozFellow Jason Schultz of NYU.
- Got myself a Google AIY Voice kit and a Snips.ai kit and started playing with them. Will get some other voice & AI kits for comparison to get a better understanding of how they'd fare regarding the trustmark criteria.
- Started opening up the early draft/prototype stage checklist for the trustmark over on gdocs.
- Updated the trustmark presentation (embedded below). Slowly but surely it's all coming together!
- As part of Dundee Design Festival, collaborators and fellow Mozilla fellows Jon Rogers and Julia Kloiber are hosting a workshop on voice & IoT including some trustmark goodness.(Details on the Dundee Design Festival site.)
- In July, we'll dedicate a ThingsCon Salon Berlin to trust & tech & trustmarks with Jason Schultz of NYU, among others. More details soon, keep an eye on the events page.
- I'll be passing through NYC in June with a few open slots in my calendar. If you're working on something relevant to this work, say hi!.
- Looks like we'll have some complementary academic research into how a trustmark might impact user behavior around voice assistants courtesy. More on that soon.
- Flesh out the trustmark criteria and gather more feedback on the draft.
- Continue working on visual identity and name for the trustmark, and with a legal expert to think through how we can make the trustmark pledge legally binding.